This past Christmas we gave my daughter a new cell phone. This phone can help her to keep in touch with her parents. This phone can give her knowledge when she has a desire to search. This phone can guide her when she needs direction. This phone can help her to stay connected to things of importance. This phone has a flash light and can illuminate her way. When she is lost, this phone can help us to find her. This phone is constantly with her!
This gift of a phone is kind of like the Gift of the Holy Ghost.
Okay… I may be stretching it a bit, but stick with me. Hopefully, I can make it all make sense.
The Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit without a body of flesh and bone. Most importantly, he is a member of the Godhead. Each member of the Godhead has separate personalities and responsibilities, yet they are united in their purpose… “to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.” They all want us to be happy!
Here are a few of the responsibilities assigned to the Holy Ghost:
- Testify! He loves to testify of Heavenly Father and the Savior, Jesus Christ. He loves to testify of their love for us. He loves to testify of spiritual truths. His testimony is the most convincing as we gain knowledge and truth.
- Teach! The Holy Ghost enlightens our minds and opens up possibilities and our understanding of spiritual things. He helps us to see things “as they really are.” Jacob 4:13 teaches, “The Spirit speaketh the truth and lieth not. Wherefore, it speaketh of things as the really are, and of things as they really will be.” The Holy Ghost teaches us truth!
- Warn! The Holy Ghost can warn us of danger and when it’s time to get back on the path. He helps us to know when we need to change, to repent, and to continue our journey back to God.
- Guide! The gift of the Holy Ghost can help us to have peace that the choices we have made in life are good choices. He won’t force in one direction or another. He invites. He guides. He lights the way. He encourages us to seek, to do good, love, serve, forgive and help others.
- Comforts! When our days are at their darkest, the Holy Ghost can be there to comfort and assure us that because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, all that is not fair about life will be made right one day. The Holy Ghost is how Heavenly Father and the Savior wrap us in their arms so that we can feel their love.
Now you may be wondering why I brought up the cell phone. Like the Holy Ghost delivers light and truth from above, the phone is the go between where I can deliver knowledge and love to my daughter. It isn’t all warm and fuzzy, but the phone connects my daughter to her family, which causes her to feel warm and fuzzy. I think the Holy Ghost connects me to my Father in Heaven so that I can feel warm and fuzzy. The cell phone can warn me of danger (weather alerts and such) and guide me (map apps). The cell phone often sets off alarms, warning me when it’s time to change activities. Like the Holy Ghost lighting my way, my cell phone flash light often lights my way. See?! They are more alike than you think! Finally, you have to learn to use you phone effectively, just like you need to learn how to effectively use the gift of the Holy Ghost in daily life.
There is nothing simple about learning to use my cell phone. There is no simple formula to immediately master the ability to hear and understand and be guided by the Holy Ghost. God expects us learn how to obtain that divine help by exercising faith in Him and in His Son, Jesus Christ. Sometimes it’s a struggle… it’s by design. It’s how we grow. Sometimes it’s daunting. It takes effort to consistently strive to recognize and follow the promptings of the Spirit. Confidence in the direction you receive from the Holy Ghost increases.
Funny thing… that cell phone is a gift that my daughter is never without. She has “received” this gift. She has accepted this gift. She has put this gift to use in her daily life. I begin to wonder… have I received the Holy Ghost as a gift? A gift is freely given. Do I accept this gift? Do I accept the guidance, the warnings, the testimony shared through the Holy Ghost? Or do I reject the gift, think I know more than the Holy Ghost about the promptings I am receiving?
Satan is extremely good at blocking spiritual communications by inducing individuals, through temptation, to be disobedient. Be careful!
Having the gift of the Holy Ghost means we are worthy. It means that the Holy Ghost will be our constant companion. What a gift!