That is the word that really jumped out at me as I studied me scriptures this morning.
Arise from the dust and be men!
My mind immediately goes to one of my favorite scenes in a Disney movie. Mulan whips off her tie and teaches the guys how to climb the wall to save the kingdom in a dress while they sing, “Be a man. You must be swift as a coursing river. Be a man. With all the force of a great typhoon. Be a man. With all the strength of a raging fire. Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.”
What does is really take to “be a man” of God?
- Shake of the dust (2 Nephi 1:21) of the world
- Be awake and aware (2 Nephi 1:21) and be involved, be ware of God’s purpose and spiritually awake
- Have an eye single to the glory of God (2 Nephi 1:21) and be united, fully committed and determined to do what is right
- Put on God’s armor daily and accept God’s protecting counsel (2 Nephi 1:23)
- Shake of the chains that bind you – overcoming captive habits and sin (2 Nephi 1:23)
- Come out of obscurity, unafraid to stand apart and to be a model of goodness, be an instrument in God’s hands (2 Nephi 1:23-24)
- Do not rebel against truth, against God (2 Nephi 1:24)
Jesus says it best.
“…Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am.” – 3 Nephi 27:27
As children of God we don’t need to accept the world’s idea of what a man is. We can rise above that. We can rise to or fullest potential. We can live up to our covenants.