I first learned this dish as Cucumber Chicken from my friend who had spent time in Taiwan. I loved it! I had to find a way to eat it with my new eating plan. So here is what I came up with:
1 brick extra firm tofu
1 large cucumber
2 Tbs cooking wine
2 Tbs hoisin sauce
1/2 Ts soy sauce
1/2 tsp brown sugar
- Slice the tofu length wise. Allow the tofu to sit wrapped in a paper towel for 10 minutes. Then slice the tofu into bite size pieces. Place in a gallon size bag and toss in corn starch to cover lightly cover the tofu squares.
- Meanwhile, slice the cucumbers into bite size piece, sprinkle with salt and set aside for 5 minutes. The salt will help the cucumbers stay crispy when you cook it.
- Whisk hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sugar and cooking wine, and set aside.
- Brown the tofu squares in a non-stick pan.
- Add sauce. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir to avoid burning.
- Add cucumber and stir fry for 2 minutes, making sure the sauce is well mixed.
- Serve and enjoy!