Servings: 6-8 Prep: 45 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 3/4 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c vegetable shortening
1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt
3-4 Tbs cold water
2 pounds tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 baby zucchini thinly sliced
1 1/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 clove minced garlic
1 1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/2 c chopped assorted herbs like chives, fresh basil, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Prepare pie crust by processing flour, shortening, and salt in a food processor until it becomes a coarse meal. Slowly add water 1 Tsp at a time until the dough forms a ball. Cover and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough to 1/8″ thickness. Place the dough into a 9″ pie tin. Trim the edges. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes or until it is golden brown. Cool completely. Reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the filling. placed sliced tomatoes and zucchini on paper towels, sprinkle with salt and let them stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute onion and minced garlic until the onion is tender.
- Pat tomatoes and zucchini dry. Layer tomatoes, zucchini, onions and herbs in the pie crust. Top with vegan mozzarella and feta cheese and one more layer of sliced tomatoes.
- Bake 350 degree for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!